Sunday, July 7, 2013

24th New Thing ~ My Oh My, What a Wonderful Day....



Deep Forest Challenge!

Barbie and the Deep Forest Challenge! 
Synonymous, right? 
I'm pretty sure I can hear you smirking.

I'm more than a little sad that I don't have some more action shots of this New Thing.
The Deep Forest Challenge! 

(Do you hear a commanding, echoing, masculine voice when you read those words....Deep Forest Challenge? I do! Kind of like, "Luke, I am your father." That famous misquote attributed to Empire Strikes Back.)

I want no speculation that I'm making this New Thing up. It really happened.

Some New Things just should not be attempted with a camera hanging around your neck. And having a friend along for the sake of photo documentation, isn't always practical. (Mostly because they are participating as well...) I guess these are the times in life when it would be nice to borrow a helmet-cam. Or a Danger Jim news crew. (Actually, Danger Jim showing up for a New Thing might be a bad sign...)

Either way, I wish I had irrefutable, photo documentation of the Deep Forest Challenge.
(Although, now that I think about it, I know a few people who are pretty good with Photoshop...)

Anyway, back to....Deep Forest Challenge!  
Yeah, this has Barbie written all over it! Will you stop with the eye rolling?


I've mentioned previously, that one wonderful and surprising part of the 50 New Things is when people come to me with ideas and offers for potential New Things. It feels like the best type of organic support. I am blessed.


One day at work, my supervisor asks me if I'd be interested in doing a zip line as a New Thing.

"Well of course I would," I say.
Then, a little worried, I scoot my chair around the wall of my cubicle to hers. "Wait," I ask, "You mean with you, right?" Because sometimes people throw "great" ideas out for me to try...alone.  Like they are selling tickets to watch from a safe distance.
That's a real thing!

Turns out Jill wants to zip, as well. Whew! She'd spotted the promotion for the new zip line course at Northwest Trek in their newsletter.

So when Zip Line Season rolled around, Jill booked our reservations.




And soon Deep Forest Day arrives....




The sign on the 'tip jar' makes me smile. It sits on the counter of the window where we sign in. You know... at the Deep Forest Challenge Cabana? Mind you, this is on your way INTO the "the most thrilling zip line/challenge experience in the Northwest." At first I just appreciate the general karmic reminder, as I count on karma day-to-day. (And some days, minute-to-minute...)
But then I start to wonder...hmmm, what's the implication here?.....that if I give a strong, healthy 'donation' before I proceed into the thrilling zip line challenge experience, then I stand a better chance of coming out the other end strong and healthy, myself? Some almost-instant karma?

Whereas if I stiff the tip jar, then karma will get me on the course. 
A reminder to buy a little karmic insurance before the challenge ahead? 
I'm tempted to open my purse and shake the contents into the black 'tip' Cauldron of Cosmic Extortion.  

I'm just kidding. I didn't even think about the potential implications behind this little sign until I got home. Wait, I found another quarter...

Okay, I'm going to stop calling it Deep Forest Challenge. The name of the Northwest Trek attraction is Zip Wild Adventure.
Deep Forest Challenge is the name of the company that designed, constructed and operates Zip Wild within Northwest Trek, I'm pretty sure. (Although I don't really imagine Darth Vader when I read the words 'Zip Wild.' C-3PO, perhaps?) 


Jill & I, pre-zip.
This was just as Jill was saying, "Time flies when you're terrified." 
(We were a little nervous.)


Platforms between challenges. It wasn't all zipping.
There were a few challenges between every zip. I liked the zipping best.
The challenges were a bit...well, challenging. 

The few action shots we got that day. 
Jill zipping!







   One of the rope challenges.
A zip line of the advanced course.



Nice harness!
I'm deeply grateful for the Deep Forest Challenge support staff.


Jill & I, post-zipping.

The safety harness was my favorite part of the day. 
I honestly did not want to take it off. 
Do you think REI sells those? 


24th New Thing ~ Zip Line / Ropes Course


This is the look of sweet satisfaction of having just completed the 
Deep Forest Challenge!




PS:
Danger Jim would call this "Breaking News!!"
I stand corrected on the photo documentation situation. But instead of rewriting this post, I'm just supplementing with this Post Script:
After I 'published' this post, I asked Jill to look it over and let me know of any inaccuracies that needed correcting or outright lies that needed confessing.
She replied, reminding me that she had also taken some pictures that day. I completely forgot.
I'm so grateful for these:

  • Additional 'action' shots. 
  • And the kind of proof that would probably stand up in court, if needed. 
Thanks Jill!


A bit worried about that Good Karma thing...

To guess how far off the ground I am here....
...you'll need to be pretty good at fractions!
It's the practice area:
Close to the ground and for us to show that we
know how use the equipment before we start for real.









4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing the challenge. How did it feel? Did you think it was easy? I know you said it was challenging... I was curious. It looked like a Ropes course challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I expected it to be a bit more scary and exciting.
    Mostly it lived up to its name. Challenge. It wasn't easy. And it took concentration.
    I could have done with less rope course challenges...and more zippity action. I kind of wanted to squeal involuntarily as I flew along. But not so much.
    I did give a cursory squeal; that was kind of exciting.
    I might try another course if there's more Zip Line payoff.
    ~ B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Barbie. I hear there is a great zip line on Camano Island. One line is almost as long as the Space Needle is high! You might want to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had some fun! Too adventurous for me, lol

    ReplyDelete